Volunteer at the Polk Home
Volunteers are critical to the success of the James K. Polk Memorial Association and the work we do. Check out our volunteer opportunities and benefits, and use the form at the bottom of the page to reach out if you are interested in volunteering with us!
Volunteer Benefits increase with hours of service!
- 50 Hours: Polk Home mug
- 75 Hours: One free book
- 100 Hours: Polk Home T-Shirt
- 200 Hours: Free Family Membership
All active Polk Association volunteers receive a 10% discount at the Museum Shop and free admission to the Polk Home!
- Special Events Volunteer: Helps us make our fundraising and educational events a success! No special training required. Responsibilities might include directing event attendees, checking people in, assisting with food, or other responsibilities. Upcoming volunteer opportunities include:
- Bloodys & Biscuits (April 1st | 8:00am-9:30am / 9:30am-11:00am / 11:00am-12:30pm)
- Homeschool Days (March 31st and/or May 19th | 8:00am-11:00am / 11:00am-2:00pm)
- Gardens of Columbia Tour (June 1st & 2nd | shifts TBD)
- Summer Camp Volunteer: Perfect for high schoolers interested in history and who enjoy working with children. This role requires a full week commitment, from 8:30am-2:30pm. Summer camp volunteers will be background checked and must attend a training session before camp. See our 2023 summer camp dates HERE!
- Regular Volunteer: Are you looking for a monthly or weekly volunteer opportunity? This could be assisting in the visitor’s center, site clean up and organization, or a specialized research project. We love to fit volunteers with projects that they are passionate about! Regular volunteers will be trained before starting their volunteer service.
- Garden Volunteer: Our beautiful garden has long been a Columbia jewel, thanks to the hard work of volunteers. Volunteers who enjoy gardening can schedule a day to work in the gardens or attend organized garden clean-up events scheduled throughout the spring, summer, and fall. This role is seasonal and weather dependent. Upcoming work opportunities are scheduled for March 18th from 8:00am-12:00pm and 12:00pm-3:00pm.
- Internships: These longer, project-driven opportunities are available on a limited basis. Work closely with our Educator, Curator, and Director on a number of projects designed to further your museum knowledge and experience. College credit may be available. Internships requite a minimum commitment of 8 hours per week over a 3-4 month period. The Polk Home currently has availability for a summer intern (May-July) and a fall intern (August-December)